Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
- Born February 12, 1809 Assassinated April 15, 1865
- 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination
- Led through the American Civil War by preserving the Union by force while ending slavery and promoting economic modernization
- Came from a poor family on the western frontier
- Mostly self-educated
- Failed in two attempts at a seat in the United States Senate
- Affectionate, though often absent, husband, and father of four children
- Ranked by scholars as one of the greatest U.S. Presidents
- Issued his Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, and promoted the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, abolishing slavery.